Friday, October 17, 2008

armchair travel

I haven't been much of a traveler lately. Except for the trip from Batangas back to Manila I haven't been on the road much. I have, however, been a very good armchair traveler.

I got a new pair of eyeglasses. It was a tad on the expensive side but it looks pretty good. I suppose I look smart wearing it as opposed to looking geeky. I found out I'm a few grades away from being legally blind without the correction. Anyway, it was a perfect tool for a week of armchair traveling.



Of course the bibliophile in me could not resist another trip to National Bookstore (lately it seems those are the only kind of trips I've been making). Lucky me fished out another bargain find for only P300.

I got Unlikely Destinations: The Lonely Planet Story by travel gurus Tony and Maureen Wheeler. I'm still on the first chapter but it seems promising. I'm a Lonely Planet fan. What can I say, anybody who can build a multi-million dollar empire from 27 cents is worthy of a fans club.



The thing I really love about being at home in Batangas (aside from the beaches and the feel of being in Taal) is cable TV and DSL.

I missed watching old favorites like City Cabs, Six Degrees, Sync or Swim and Globe Trekker. But I was still hooked on Discovery Travel and Living watching Fun Taiwan, LA Ink, Passport with Samantha Brown and America the Wright Way.

I have also been reading a lot of travel stories online . Once again I'm looking for new travel destinations. Right now I have my eyes on China. I'm going to read more about it now :)


P.S. I love the idea behind Couchsurfing. When I first found out about Couchsurfing I was disappointed to find only a handful of couchsurfers in the whole of Asia. Now, it's overwhelming to find that there are 1485 couchsurfers in the Philippines alone.

No comments: