Sunday, March 1, 2009

more distractions

Taking a peek at the list of books I've read so far (2009 Distractions on the side panel) I can't help but smile at the variety of the books. On any other day I would probably only read one out of the seven on the list (and that would be Douglas Coupland's JPod). Ever since I've tried reading different genres I find that I can pick up any book and just read. Reading may not always be as enjoyable as I would like. But I rest assured that after reading each book I've learned something new.

Having said that, the last batch of newly acquired books are a little up my alley this time.



China Syndrome:
The True Story of The 21st Century's First Great Epidemic
Karl Taro Greenfeld


Deep down I still want to be an epidemiologist. Plus, this hits closer to home than all the books on Ebola I've read.

From National Bookstore bargain bin - P200







The Principles of Running:
Practical Lessons from My First 100,000 Miles

Amby Burfoot

I do want to be a runner. But before I hit the ground running I would like to know more about what I'm getting myself into. I'm not as fit as I was a decade ago. I want to do running right and avoid injuries.

From Booksale - P 145







Piled Higher and Deeper: A Graduate Student Comic Strip Collection
Jorge Cham


The first of the grad student comic strip collection. It can be laugh-out-loud funny as it pokes fun at the trials and tribulations of being a grad student. At the same time it leaves you hopeful knowing that you are not alone :)

From Booksale - P70








The Poe Shadow
Matthew Pearl


His first book The Dante Club got me hooked. Although I was a bit disappointed at how it ended I'm willing to give Matthew Pearl another chance with The Poe Shadow.

National Bookstore - P150 (hardcover)

No comments: