Monday, September 15, 2008

back to cebu (day 3 and 4)

I had a big Continental breakfast to start the day. Then we walked along the whole stretch of the Alona Beach before picking a good spot for a swim. It was still early morning and the sun was not so hot yet. The water was cool but not cold.

alona beach 1

alona beach 2


We took the fastcraft back to Cebu before lunch. I was staring out the window the whole time, watching the water, wanting so much to be in it instead of speeding over it.

water

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in Cebu I finally had a taste of their famous Lechon for lunch. It did taste different - the brown skin really crunchy, and inside the white flesh was dripping with juice. I could feel my arteries clogging up as I shared a quarter-kilo spread.

In the mid-afternoon we headed to the market to buy danggit and other pasalubong. We got a good price for the danggit and squid. We were happy with our purchases and I'm sure the three helpful sales ladies were happy about their sale also!

danggit!


Dinner at Mr. A's had us loosening our belts. I drank most of the fruit punch and had my head in my hands the whole time as I told myself I can't possibly eat any more before reaching for another piece of fish.

Even if I was close to bursting, after dinner we headed off to the small eatery in front of V. Sotto Hospital. Both my co-intern (who had her clinical clerkship at V. Sotto) and my friend swore that the small eatery served the best siomai. They would not allow me to leave Cebu City the next day without trying it. So try I did, and I'm glad I did.

We walked around the corner after that to a place that used to be open rows of grills and tables. Once people had their barbecues, isaw, chicken feet, liver, hotdogs and almost anything you could put on a stick grilled and served to them under the night sky. But as more people came the city put a big tent over the area so that dining could continue even as it rained. This might have increased revenues but I think it was not a particularly good idea. Either exhaust fans and fumes hoods were absent or were not sufficient. The inviting lights and smell of grilled food was clearly overpowered by the thick smoke that made my eyes water even as we stood by the gate. We decided against entering and called it a night instead.

siomai sa tisa


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I left for Manila early the next morning, still quite full and undeniably very happy, vowing to come back for more.


No comments: