Thursday, April 9, 2009

motivation

Maundy Thursday.

At midday, I was at Loyola Memorial Cemetery laying to rest my aunt’s sister-in-law. She had passed away due to complications of diabetes. At the funeral service I couldn’t help but shed a tear for the passing of a strong woman at such a young age of 53. Her own mother is the picture of health at 80. I cried as her 17-year old daughter said goodbye to her, describing her as their “home” – a place (person) where they were safe, provided for, comfortable and loved. With her passing the remaining family members needed to come together to rebuild a new home.

With each death in the family (there has been three for this month alone) my mortality haunts me.

I have enough motivation to keep me striving for health and fitness with my family history of hypertension, diabetes, coronary artery disease and cancer. I am glad that I’ve quit smoking and that I only drink occasionally. I suppose I’m also glad that even as I grow a year older in a couple of weeks my age cannot be considered a risk factor yet.

I’m lucky that I also have the added motivation of being a physician. If I want to continue to advise my patients to increase physical activity, reduce weight and eat right it would be hypocritical if I don’t do the same. I need to practice what I preach. I need to be the picture of health. My patients need to know and see the benefits of the advice that I offer.

By the age of 30 I’d like to be at my fittest, with a normal BMI, able to run a half marathon, able to swim a mile (or more), with updated immunizations, normal blood pressure and normal blood chemistry.

At this point I am confident it is not too hard to achieve.

No comments: