Wednesday, April 8, 2009

R&R

Cebu City and Bantayan Island
April 1 - 7, 2009

My last trip to Cebu was in August last year. For this trip I decided to stay longer.


After a nice dinner at STK (baked clams, grilled tangigue, mixed seafood and crab curry) a ride around the city revealed a very active bunch of graffiti artists.


In the morning, as the best friend headed for work I headed to McDonald's for breakfast. I sat in the roadside veranda trying to soak up the energy of the city. I read the local paper and calmly waited for things to happen Cebu-style.


On the weekend we started the trip to Bantayan Island.


On the early bus to Hagnaya: Thorntree discussions at Lonely Planet has called this ride as one of the craziest bus rides. I am almost grateful of the darkness before sunrise as I am spared of the scary cliffside view. The bus careens up and down the mountain road not even slowing down for blind curves. [Ceres bus ride: P80 - regular fare, ~3.5 hours]


First look at Sta. Fe: I was apprehensive at first about going to Bantayan Island just before the Holy Week. I was expecting a beach full of tourists on their holiday. I couldn't be more wrong. [Boat to Sta. Fe: P130 - ~1.5 hours]


Bantayan was wonderful. We stayed at Sta. Fe Beach Resort [aircon room for 3: P2000 - a really big room that could easily fit 5 or 6 persons, hot and cold shower]. After brunch we took a dip in Ogtong Cave, jumped the waves back at Sta. Fe and basically just soaked in the salty water. We had dinner at the D' Jungle [all you can eat for P300 with over 50 dishes to choose from]. After a long walk at the beach and divulging secrets over SMB we called it a night.


Sunrise at Sta. Fe looked like sunset everywhere else. We heard mass first thing the next morning (it was Palm Sunday), then took a habal-habal to Bantayan to buy seafood. We had chartered a boat to take us islandhopping.

We had earlier planned to go to Virgin Island but I'm glad we changed our plans and headed to Hilantaga-an (I think) instead. There were too many people at Virgin Island we wouldn't have enjoyed it.


Harry was our able cook and guide. We had an overabundance of scallops, shrimp, squid and tilapia for lunch all washed down with buko juice. [Islandhopping: P800; Snorkeling gear can be rented for another P100]


It was like we had the whole island cove to ourselves. The sand was white hot, the water was clear, it was so quiet you could speak at your normal voice and be heard a kilometer away.


Back at Sta. Fe I took a quick run around town. I couldn't help laughing when a sikad driver offered to give me a ride back to the resort in the middle of my run.


More pictures from Bantayan:


Flip Flops!

Late afternoon, taking a breather

Another sunrise at Sta. Fe.


Last look before we leave.



I don't think I would mind if I never went back to Boracay again. But I certainly would love to go back to Bantayan.

No comments: