Thursday, November 6, 2008

RIP: Michael Crichton, 66

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Michael Crichton, the million-selling author of such historic and prehistoric science thrillers as Jurassic Park,Timeline and The Andromeda Strain, has died of cancer, his family said.

He died Tuesday in Los Angeles at age 66 after a long battle with the illness."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2008-11-05-michael-crichton_N.htm


I started reading Michael Crichton as a freshman in high school. It was around the time when the movie "Jurassic Park" came out and my science high school friends' idea of having fun was trying to separate fact from fiction in mass media productions.

Through the years I've always picked up his books. I haven't been so thrilled about his writing lately but out of habit every time a new Crichton book is published I still check it out.

I admire that his books are replete of steadfast and intelligent women. Women who are at the forefront of science, research, technology and the industry. Young readers just might find role models in them.

But I have to admit, with my interest in Molecular Microbiology and Molecular Medicine, Andromeda Strain is a favorite.

No comments: