Tuesday, November 11, 2008

terminal

I love riding on buses and trains. I love the feel of being in perpetual motion. I love passing on bridges and going through tunnels. I love the play of light and dark coming through the windows. I love the colorful characters I share a seat with.

But I am not a fan of waiting. Buses and trains never seem to leave the terminal on time. I always lament over wasting the better part of an hour waiting when I could already be some place else.

On the other hand, waiting in airports is another matter entirely. With longer lines and longer waiting time one would expect me to absolutely hate it. I don’t. I love it.

There is something in the air in airports. There is a buzz that makes me feel that I’m already moving even though I’m sitting still. There is that excitement within that connotes that the journey doesn’t start when I hop on the plane. It has started the moment I left home. Waiting in the airport is already part of the journey.

Though for most parts I am at airports for domestic flights the buzz, the excitement is not diminished. And in every new flight the buzz is amplified.



Arriving at Hong Kong International Airport, we were debating whether to take the airport express or the train to the city.



Rows and rows of empty blue seats to choose from – I could change my seat every five minutes and I still wouldn’t run out of a place to sit down



I fell in love with the shadows made by the afternoon sun filtering in through the windows



Having a book to read is a good idea, but who needs reading material when there’s a whole airport to see

No comments: