Saturday, January 31, 2009

annuals

I had no idea a couple of days doing annual physical exams for a company could be so tiring. I've seen more patients in one day before, but there's something about having to deal with all those stressed-out individuals in a hurry that is both emotionally and physically draining. Of course working from 7 am to 5 pm, with only a 20 minute lunch break could be one reason why I was so tired.


Here are just a few short notes:

1. I was correct to expect better dressed individuals there so I made it a point to dress up also.

2. With physical appearance a vital part of their business they also seemed more conscious about fitness and health.

3. I had expected that because of the stress level of meeting daily quotas and deadlines, more employees would be turning to smoking and drinking. As it turned out a greater number opted physical activity as stress busters. This included brisk walking, running, jogging, cycling and working out at the gym. I was surprised to note that most were involved in basic physical activities rather than more competitive sports.

4. As part of the OB-Gyne history I had to ask about recent sexual activity to determine if I could do a Pap smear. As the women themselves commented, corporate sex was "sex on schedule". That would be sex on a weekend or a Friday night when they didn't have to wake up early for work the next day.

5. The women higher up in the corporate ladder always wonder why I don't have an assistant helping me out when I'm doing Pap Smears.

6. Educated people ask educated questions.

7. Educated people who ask educated questions get comprehensive and educated answers.

8. Educated people take doctor's advice more seriously -- that is, if they think the advice suits them (read: convenient). Otherwise, they are as stubborn as a mule.

9. I've never had to explain as much about lifestyle modification as I had in two days. Same goes for the effects of coffee and tea.

10. Doctors aren't being intrusive if they ask too many questions. They just want to be sure they will give the patient the best possible care always.

No comments: