Saturday, January 10, 2009

is this really what I want to do?

January 5:
I took a jeepney ride, two bus rides and a taxi to get to "work". I saw over a dozen patients in the few hours I was at the clinic. I kept asking myself is this what I really want to do?

Realization 1 - It turns out that sometimes responding when patients flirt with you actually makes for a more productive consult. It probably makes your patient's day also.


January 6:
I was staying at an uncle's place so I spent the whole morning playing with my 4-year old cousin. She was so lithe and tiny, like a graceful ballerina or an agile gymnast. It was a wonder to watch her tumble around, dance on tiptoe, do cartwheels, then swing around a bar.

I was such a klutz compared to her horsing around the treadmill and falling down. I have an abrasion on my left knee to show for it.



January 7:
Clinic duty again. 26 patients plus a couple of follow-ups. It's funny because today I actually enjoyed being there. I enjoyed spending time with my patients, it makes me feel I actually made a difference.

Which reminds me, the best times are when a patient asks for your card and clinic sched because they want to make sure that when they come back you're the one who gets to see them again. I almost felt sad when I had to reply I was just relieving for a fellow doctor for a couple of days and won't be back in the clinic again.

Realization 2 - Good doctor-patient rapport does go a long way. It sure made my day.


Now imagine the high I felt when as an intern a patient asked about the consultation hours at my clinic. How do you say Ma'am, I just see patients here at the OPD under the supervision of a resident since I'm only an intern politely and without causing embarrassment?


All in all, it was a good day.



No comments: