Saturday, January 24, 2009

r/w

Getting back to my run/walk routine after taking a break while working proved harder than I thought. I did have short 20 to 30-minute walks while I was in Mindoro. But I was walking with a friend most of the time and she wasn't very welcoming of the suggestion that we should walk with a quicker pace. We probably covered only around 2 1/2 kilometers for our half-hour walks.

While I was looking forward for the endorphin high of previous routines I wasn't exactly looking forward to the muscles aches that greeted me the morning after my first run.

Only on week 2 of my so-called beginner runner's program and I am faced with the sad realization that I have a bum left knee. On one end I blame it on all the weight I've gained, on the other end, I blame it on weak muscles that should have been enough to support my knee if only I had used them more.

I've always been on the heavy side but I used to be fitter. I miss being able to run or swim a mile and not feel achy afterwards. I miss being able to play tennis all afternoon and still have the energy to go out at night. I do feel better now that I've taken a step to becoming healthier and more active again. But I have to take things one day at a time so as not to be disheartened by what seems a very, very long road ahead.

Somebody please run with me.

No comments: